View Single Post
Old 2004-07-30, 01:18   Link #32
kefka95
MONKEY

similarities between Naruto and Harry Potter

NOTE: There are possible Harry Potter spoilers ahead, so if you haven't finished reading them or don't want to know what happens, you may want to skip this

First let me say I'm not at all implying that Naruto copied Harry Potter in any way; there are way too many differences for that. The main reason I thought of this is that I realized the reasons I love Naruto so much are probably very similar to the reasons I love the Harry Potter books. If you've read/watched both series then you know it's impossible to mistake the similarities between the two, and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the same thing. Here are a few of the similarities I've noticed:

- Both sets of main characters are about the same age, or at least start out that way

- Both feature three main characters, two boys and a girl, who become good friends (Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura -- Harry, Ron, Hermione)

- In both cases, the girl is the "smart" one (Sakura -- Hermione)

- Both main characters, Naruto and Harry, grew up without real parents, feeling alienated and not knowing their place in the world

- Both stories are "growing up" stories, revolving around the main characters lives as they attend school (or something similar in Naruto's case), learn new things and try to figure out who they are

- Both sets of characters are at the age where they can do what they want and make their own decisions, yet they still have the protection of the adults watching over them

- In both cases the characters start out dealing with small problems directly related to school or learning (in Naruto's case, the early missions and Genin/Chuunin exams -- too many to name in Harry Potter), but eventually become more and more deeply involved with bigger "real world" problems (the attack on Konoha and the impending war in Naruto -- the return of Voldemort in Harry Potter)

- Even though the main characters are just kids, they often have huge responsibilities thrown on their shoulders (Naruto's team dealing with the Sand during the Konoha invasion -- again too many to name in Harry Potter)

- In both stories there has been a type of competition between the neigboring schools (Chuunin exam -- Tri-Wizard tournament)

- Both main characters, Naruto and Harry, have incredible powers that they themselves do not fully understand (Naruto's Nine-Tails -- Harry being the only one who can kill Voldemort)

- In both cases, the two main characters who aren't the "main" character have at least signs of a romance with each other (Sasuke and Sakura -- Ron and Hermione)

- Both leaders of the schools/clans are super-powerful in their respective arts (Hokage -- Dumbledore)

Once again, I certainly don't think these similarities are a bad thing, it's just something I happened to notice. I'm sure there are many more, and if anyone can think of any, feel free to add to the list. Also, if the main reason you like Naruto is because of the character development and the characters relationships with each other (ie not just the fighting), then you'll very likely also enjoy Harry Potter. Give it a shot if you haven't already; Harry Potter is about as good as it gets