View Single Post
Old 2009-08-22, 06:35   Link #122
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, if you bring "karma" into it, killing is DEFINITELY the wrong option, as it compounds into your (presumably) already large baggage. See, it's the whole "you reap what you sow" thing, when you deal with this "karmic" business. It's much more interesting (and agreeable to the universe) to have the person who has done wrong suffer through the same (or similar) hardships and realize the error of its ways. Not simply dying and having the chance to do it all over again.
I use "karma" in the more general meaning of "moral currency in the universe", not in a specific religious meaning. In that, "if you do bad, you'll deserve it when bad happens to you".

Of course, enduring yourself what you make others endure (with an added fine for interests) is the "most just" punishment. But it wouldn't really feels natural in the story. Let's say that Makoto got something he somehow deserved, even if it clearly wasn't the best kind of punishment - but it was the most, well, naturally happening considering the context.
Quote:
As for "self-defense"... I plead the fifth, Your Honor. That's a whole different can of worms. Let's just say that "there are cases and cases" and leave it at that, shall we?
Okay, but then I'll keep my own criteria on what is a "case" and a "case" then ^^