View Single Post
Old 2008-02-15, 04:37   Link #471
Koshimizu
おやすみ、ルルーシュ。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
Anyway, how is the success of a series being quantified? By viewer levels? Impact on the communities across the internet? The amount of hentai coming up, using characters from the series?
Generic question, but I'd be happy about some enlightment .
Fanbase is important, but the sponsors would like to see some nice numbers.
Like Karuma said, the most important thing is the view percentage. (I don't know if there's a formal name for this stat.) It's also the fastest way to evaluate if a show is popular, since you get the number as soon as it's aired. Code Geass's was around 3%~4%, that's very good for a midnight show.
The DVD sales also contribute.
I happen to have the sales number if anyone's interested.
Spoiler for in spoiler box to save space:
Spoiler for if you want to know how good that is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
What exactly do things like the studio input and fan response determine for the story? Would that affect judgement in areas like endings, deaths, pairings, and character progression?

And this is something I have never really thought about till recently, but how are opening songs picked out? Are certain bands requested and if so by whom?
That's one of the things they shouldn't let the fans know before the show is over. Or people will try to make a difference.

And every director reacts to fan feedback differently. So it's hard to say.
Fans could effect big. for example, in Gundam Seed Destiny, Shinn Asuka was kicked of the throne of #1 male cast by Kira Yamato, since Kira is what the fans really want. In Gundam Seed, the true reason for Dearka to join the hero's side is because the sale number of his Gundam is the worst of all 5. So they do this to keep his mech from cramming up the wearhouse. This is what the director Mitsuo Fukuda said in an interview. Not many directors are so unashamed, though.

I haven't seen such unnatural changes in Code Geass. Nor heard rumors about it. All we know for sure is Orange-kun got his extra screentime because of the Orange fever all over Code Geass fandom.
I think there might have been a little adjustment. When Ep1 was aired, it was critized for anti-Americianism. (Seiji Takeda, one of the producers of Code Geass, is known for being anti-America.) But this no longer exists in later episodes. Perhaps they decided to make adjustments early?

As for the Opening and Ending songs, sadly, the sponsors decide them.
$ONY is known for having their non-hot singers jump on the bandwagon with hot anime. That also happened to Gundam Seed. Tamaki Nami was a novice when she sang GS's ending song, and then she becomes popular.
And yes, that's where Kaidoku Furou came from. They want to make use of Code Geass to get the old yet unprofitable band Jinn popular. Well, if being popular as a laughingstalk is what they want, they succeeded.
Now it's probably going to happen again to the 1st opening of Code Geass R2. Many 2chers guess it's another new band $ONY dishes out. Let's hope the song is good at least.

BTW Taniguchi didn't seem to like Kaidoku Furou. In the commentory of Ep15, he was asked why Kaidoku Furou was chosen as the 2nd opening. He answered, "oh, that's grownup's business."
At this moment, Niconico went wild with comments like "grownup's business LOL!" "The director speaks!" "Jinn critism!"
And then, he was asked why the image doesn't go with the rythems of the song. He answered, "I was only showing what I want to show." (And of course Niconico went wild again.)
Looks like he really doesn't want Kaidoku Furou here. But he didn't have a choice. So he didn't bother to synchronize the image and the song. (Well, neither would I want to listen to that thing for hours to synchronize. XD)
Koshimizu is offline   Reply With Quote