View Single Post
Old 2009-05-20, 18:52   Link #245
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Well...besides the fact that you can compare apples and oranges...I understand the point you are trying to make and completely disagree. A hero is simply a person who accomplishes something (generally considered "good" or "just" within the conventions of that society) despite the odds. Consequently, almost anyone at any time can be a hero, and living or dying matters very little to the defintion of being a hero (even in Naruto, living or dying matters very little when trying to define a hero). For instance, Minato was a hero for 'defeating' the Kyuubi (and before that he was a hero for almost single-handedly defeating the Iwa nation), and Naruto is a hero for defeating Pain/Nagato.

I have never once said that Naruto must live. Rather, I could see Naruto going the way of Beowulf - dying at a very old age after defeating one last foe (or to use a DB refference, Goku disappearing after defeating Shenlong (or whatever that stupid dragon was from GT)). Rather, I disagree with the notions that either Naruto must die sometime soon, or that Naruto must die to "save" Sasuke, and other such ideas.
But that would defeat the purpose of naming the manga "Naruto." I mean, the whole motive is to show Naruto's growth and his dream to become a hokage. If he were to die as a hokage in the end, then it would make sense - but that wouldn't really be the case. Because, Naruto wished to be a Hokage, but has never mentioned carrying out the duties of a Hokage. I can speculate some kind of future arc after where Naruto will become Hokage, just to see how Konoha's ninjas are doing.