View Single Post
Old 2008-07-22, 07:13   Link #245
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_tjerk View Post
You can say what you want, but the elements that most leechers consider important are covered in those screencaps. I wonder if it's because of those screencaps people started to only care about visual stuff, or if it's the other way around. Also, an adequate comparison for you may very likely not be an adequate comparison for me.

Also, as has been said many times already (Tofu, NoSanninWa, asunder, ...), not all fansubbers (I prolly won't either) like criticism. If you are going to compare translation/editing/timing, then prepare to endure some childish acts like DDoS's from angry/irritated fansubbers. Translation is not always simply "correct or wrong", neither is any other aspect of a fansub. Tastes differ, and people aren't always that understanding of another one's taste/preference; especially NOT on the internet.

A quick summary:
Literal translation vs. more "free"/localized translation.
Comma abuse (grammatical correctness) or easily readable. Slang or correct english.
Leadin/Leadout/Scenetiming/"lunar-style" timing.
Hardsub/softsub/only notes/AFX/Every Sign/Only useful ones/...
Overfiltered/HD Only/no xvid/too big/too blurry/...

As this and many other threads have proven, one can go on about those for hours, but is one style necessarily better than another (leaving out personal preferences)?
All I am talking about is comparing for absolute mistakes or incorrect work. Like a translation being 100% wrong in many places, numerous editing errors like mispellings, or lines timed to the wrong things, or not timed at all.

The majority of leechers dl whatever is first or whatever group they remember leeching lots from. The people who most commonly go to compare sites are fansubbers. If you don't like the comparisons, don't read them. Some people however learn from them and can take them objectively.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote