View Single Post
Old 2012-09-30, 11:13   Link #146
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Well, which would be perfectly fine (certainly in the game design phase), if not for the new "condition" imposed post-launch. As it stands, you can't really call that "fair" -- the creator may have "intended for it to be beaten/cleared", but without the possibility of information getting out, it's basically rolling the dice to see if the next group that tries is smart and strong enough to win, and if not you've just lot a whole ton of your best players. One might hope that "Cardinal" would adjust the game balance at some point (as it was implied to be doing in the last episode) if it sees that it's just too unreasonable (because too much attrition now makes it harder to clear the rest of the game).
Agreed on bold. I've got to say though, I'm surprised we're way this deep into the series and this subject still comes up.

Reiterating what I previously said here, my personal opinion is that calling SAO as the death game that it is now as "fair" is an insult to those who died. It implies they are losers and thus deserved to die. Maybe if we lived in ancient Rome that idea wouldn't be so repulsive, but...I've said this before, the moment it becomes a death game, it doesn't matter even if SAO was originally the most balanced game ever made in history. That whole game balance "fairness" ultimately weighs to nothing if your life is on the other end of the scale.