View Single Post
Old 2012-03-27, 00:20   Link #95
Shmoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
^
I hope you remembered that from the start the director is the same guy who turned the last two episodes of Blood-C into a bloodbath. Expect a slow buildup at first, and then a sudden storm of violence and bloodshed in the final two episodes.
With no prior knowledge of the above, I really enjoyed the first 7 episodes of the show. I'm a slow guy, so it really only became apparent to me at 10 that something was going horribly wrong with the direction of the finale. But of course I stuck with it just and hoped for the best.

I was even hopeful (but still very skeptical) after 11. I just didn't feel anything watching this last episode but dissapointment. I was really wanting to read the novel at some point if it was ever translated but that prospect has gone out the window now for me too.

The first half of the series seems to be in that genre of Japanese horror that is masterfully slow build and suspenseful. The "first" death really caught me off guard and drew me in. Then they just became so predictable and uninteresting.

Actually, I think one of the problems is that so many people ended up dying it completely desensitised me the viewer toward the whole basis behind the calamity. The impact of their deaths became nothing more than a guessing game as to who would be offed next. If it had been done so that only one or two major characters had died, it would have been more thrilling.

Similar is the example in Gurren Lagann. We all remember Kamina and Nia. Maybe even the Spiral King guy, but there were a lot of +1s in there that I sure can't name or even remember their faces.

Great potential in Another but I feel it was ultimately wasted by a weak followthrough. I will rate it higher than Blood C, which I deleted off my computer in pure disgust after watching the final episode.