Thread: Licensed A Channel
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-08, 15:11   Link #240
Sol Falling

I'm enjoying the manga for this one...and so decided to pick up the anime as well (despite a wealth of other shows which might seem to have a higher claim on worthiness in scope or pedigree this season). So far, it's at least generally managed to sustain my interest in the same way the manga did, and maintains a moderate level of consistent enjoyability.

I gotta admit, I'm somewhat feeling the limits of this adaptation though. Episode 3 was brilliantly laugh out loud funny, but the humour in 4 and 5 mostly comes off as stilted and slow, so that watching them feels like little more than an exercise in appreciating the moe character designs, voice and animation. And essentially, the fluctuations in the value of the core content (thus far) seem to come straight down to the source material--when they've got good gags, as in episode 3, this show shines, but with vapid or mediocre material as in these two previous episodes the stiltedness just comes across even more clearly.

Much as I'm personally willing to overlook the slow patches and stick with it, this comes across as a poor proposition for a neutral evaluator. I think it is somewhat unfortunate that this show will not have much mainstream appeal after all. But, well, I guess that's just how it is sometimes. At the very least, I myself will definitely enjoy this as I'm determined to.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote