View Single Post
Old 2006-04-15, 18:51   Link #4
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
while someone who is fluent in both Japanese and English would do a better job than I do (...) none has done so
There's a reason for that. ^^; It may seem fun in the beginning, but unless you're incredibly devoted, the steam runs out fast. I'm part of the group of people who are good with both Japanese and English, and I'm also a translator myself. Mangas or animes have proven themselves to be an easy job for me to translate, but novels are a whole different story. Unless you're an expert in the usage of artistic descriptive languages in English to deliver the same kind of mood and atmosphere portrayed in the original text, as well as maintaining the original text's structure + meaning, the translation will come out all wrong (inaccurate). This is different from, say, translating manga text, where all there is to translate are character dialogues (which are usually quite literal in their meanings). For someone like me, who likes to maintain as close to the original text as possible when translating (I don't like "interpreting" meanings), novels are quite a challenge (I'm currently translating Shakugan no Shana's short novel, "Reshuffle" myself).

Still, it's always a good thing to see someone with enough motivation to take on the task. I probably can't be of any help, but good luck and keep us updated.