View Single Post
Old 2012-11-14, 15:58   Link #3258
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

@Jinto TBT average people do not create the images of what future technology will look like, you are obviously talking about the fact that in the second half of the xx century rocket science took one of those huge steps I was talking about with the launch of the first artificial earth satellite and many scientists (and science fiction writers) expected there would be many of those huge steps in the near future, that belief was fueled by the human landing of the moon, but all of them were just gradual advancements, so even if nasa's budget hadn't been cut each year after the apollo program cancellation, there would have been no successful missions to mars and beyond.

I am not aware that cat girls (the example and cited, I could talk all day about similar advancements but I will spare you all) are nowadays a common answer to what people expect from the future, I think that even in an otaku only poll there are no expectations at all that someday technology might produce them IRL.

As for the planet sized roadblock, I do not see such thing, just a hurdle that modern technology at the current speed of innovation will tackle in the near future, what I would call a planet sized roadblock is i.e. the speed of light limit which no matter if we invent antimatter reactors would block any possibility to visit but the closest of star systems.