View Single Post
Old 2014-04-08, 14:54   Link #1207
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Recently, IGN got to talk with Colin Johansen about what they've learned so far and a couple of other topics. Predictably, it attraced a slew of comments, one of which I find quite puzzling; I thought I'd share it here and see what you lads and lasses think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSFisk@IGN
PvP: Wow. No roles makes PvP a mixed bag. The WvW is an awesome concept but strategy consists of roving hordes of players moving from capture point to capture point. Since there is no real dedicated role structure, it's essentially a victory-by-attrition melee with superior numbers and gear being the victors.
When challenged as to how he can claim there are no 'roles' given that each class does in fact have a place within the ORBAT, he elaborates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSFisk@IGN
Actually, each class doesn't have a defined role. There is no tank, no healer and no DPS. Sure, some classes have means to give the illusion of being a Healer or a Tank (Actually, the Guardian is a tank in this game...and a Healer...and a DPSer if done right). The holy trinity doesn't exist in Guild Wars 2. The healing and aggro management in this game doesn't function the way it does in traditional MMORPGs.
All of which facts he and his guildmates have obviously adapted to successfully given that he's gotten to level 80...

One other post is a gripe about the 'downed' mechanic from someone who obviously failed at adaptation. Now that I think about it, that mechanic could allow GW2 to make PvP scenarios that mimic the Interrogation mode from The Last of Us (reference).
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote