View Single Post
Old 2011-09-13, 20:15   Link #83
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Not as spectacular as I thought it'd be, but it was a very satisfying ending. Even if it felt a bit too perfect, I'm pleased everybody got a happy ending, even Moeka.

My only complaint about the last two episodes is that they screwed up the time traveling mechanics, which had been almost flawless until now. The concept of world lines was perfect, but then they threw in a causal loop into the mix, which actually worked fine until what happened in this episode destroyed it. What happened to the other Okabe in the past, the one who stabbed Kurisu (an event which we were told last week had to happen in order for the time machine to be created)? Okabe's previous trip to the past with Suzuha was mysteriously erased from existence. Okabe not stabbing Kurisu means no time machine, thus no time traveling. They can't just introduce the concept of causal loop to just throw it out of the window the next episode. Geh, time travel is always such a headache...
The bit about the time machine was detailed in the VN. When one travels back twice to the same location at the same time with a time machine, the time machine automatically makes you travel into a world line with a different, albeit, very small divergence. That's why Okabe and Suzuha were able to travel back to the Radio Building, same location, same time, without meeting themselves.

It's actually the same with the time leap machine. It's not actually possible to travel back in the past in the same timeline. Okabe actually moves world lines when he does that. It's just that the divergence change is just VERY VERY small that the Reading Steiner doesn't activate and there's no change when you look at a divergence meter.