View Single Post
Old 2013-05-06, 09:34   Link #25
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Sorry, I forgot we have a tech thread too. Triple posting here too! >_<

About Avalon:

At the top of the structure is a Super Electromagenetic Shield which doubles as a Thrust Reverser, followed by Electromagnetic Shield Retention Rings holding it in place. Then there is a Ultra High Density Solid of Revolution with an Accretion Disc around it.

In the residential zone, there are two sets of 12 Revolving Residential Areas each. These are held in place with Residential Area Support Rings. "Filter Sails" are installed in the space between the residential areas and the plasma running through the center. The sails are made of a film which protects the residential areas from harmful radiation emitting from the plasma.

At the bottom of the structure are Power Control Rings followed by Plasma Acceleration Rings at the very bottom.
Thank you Duckroll!

Certainly this whole technology is pretty hard to understand, and perhaps it isn't meant to be.

All that stuff actually exist, but the how it can exist in such configuration eludes me.

For example, what prevents the various parts of this colony from collapsing into that black hole?

How are those containment rings generated and by what?
Why thrust reversal? Why do you even need that?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I have the feeling that this is mostly technobabble