Old 2013-01-03, 09:02   Link #28525
maknaedik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
I'm assuming a spray is used?
Yes

Quote:
Also, is there a way to remove the topcoat?
Yes, there is. For a surface that is flat (when I mean flat, it means no channels for pane lines, rivets, bumps or anything), you can sand it. If you don't want to go that route, you can strip it just like paint. For lacquer based topcoats, which I use, denatured alcohol is the cheap alternative. Haven't tried this myself yet.

Quote:
As for removing the parts - isn't that awfully hard? I've read that one can use a hobby knife to do so, but I'm really afraid of damaging the parts. I'm not sure if I want to try this on my HGUC Sazabi.
Kinda, but there are preparations which you can do like cutting a tiny portion of the pegs that will connect to holes. You actually have to cut it diagonally. Doing this can make disassembling parts easier. I haven't done it actually since I haven't done any major accidents. Yes, I use hobby knife since it's the thinnest of all my tools that I can use to pull apart snapped together parts.

Quote:
EDIT: In case you're wondering, all this fuss about polishing is because I sanded the chest portion of my HGUC Sazabi a little too much. I've sanded it to the point where it shines, but if you look closely you can see all the tiny scratch marks. (I'm OCD like that.) There's also some nub marks which I've left around the kit, which I usually do. Normally, I'd sand/file nub marks a bit and colour them with a marker to make them less obvious, not to remove them completely. I'd hate to have to take it apart. (Actually, Bandai did a really good job with the HGUC Sazabi - most of the nub marks are actually hidden. But the ones that are not, stick out like a sore thumb.)
Well, it's kinda risky, but you can always sand the scratches/marks that a hobby knife can leave. Anyway, I haven't had any accidents disassembling parts given that I have a very shaky hands, I think you'll be fine.

Sometimes, it does happen to me. Scratches that are deep down. What I do is I sand the part AGAIN with lower grit, then progress with a finer grit then another finer grit. I use 400-600-1000 grits. I'm not sure if it's the same scale that's available in your place, but that's what I use and maybe it could help. Usally, when I get lazy, I use 180 (for really hard nubs and I'm kinda rushing) then skip to 600. That's when that situation happens to me. I should've used 360 or 400 in the middle.

Red Gunpla Reviews: http://redblondemean.wordpress.com

My Personal Blog: http://cmgaddict.wordpress.com
maknaedik is offline   Reply With Quote