Thread: Licensed Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-20, 17:05   Link #2678
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
All I really asked for was a stable coherent narrative and a decent cast again something that honest to god should not really be all that hard yet seems to be eluding mecha shows of late. Aside from Ao the cast either came across as loathsome, annoying or irrelevant and played off for jokes and a show like this can't survive as a one man show.

Like you can call it by another name and even remove the sequel to a hit series factor and you still have all those issues of basic storytelling just crippling the show.
Again, I think people are being far too critical. Stable, coherent narrative? It largely had that right up until the ending, especially where the backstory and resolution for Renton and Eureka was just a slap in the face for everyone who watched the original. And the cast had a great clash of personalities, except that they never had the screentime to expand fully on everyone and their motivations. Underdeveloped would be the word I'll use to describe the cast, and it's disappointing because the cast had a lot of personality to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I agree that there are one or two loose threads it didn't explain properly and whilst the pacing of the last two episodes were pretty fast I didn't really think they were all that faster than how previous episodes have been and i don't think think there was any impact lost in the sister reveal. On the contrary, I found it exceptionally well done.
This I have to disagree, and it's probably the most aggravating thing about the ending. Sure, the sister's subplot was easy validation of all their actions in AO because of familial love, one of the core themes of AO and the E7 shows, but in doing so bastardized the characterization of Renton and Eureka, and negates everything the first series stood for, that theme of coexistance.

Still, had the feels when Ao acknowledged everything his parents did for him and Niji starts playing. That scene was pretty well executed, even if the idea behind it was crap.

And really people, worse than Aquarion EVOL? I know you're mad, geez, but still.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2012-11-20 at 17:54.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote