Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-13, 14:19   Link #1166
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Eh, a bit. In the manga he actually chews on a flab of loose skin of his own arm, which reinforces just how batshit insane he is. I'll agree that the actual blood doesn't matter, but the way they censored it just screams "obvious censorship." Using camera angles or shades, or even just a lack of leaking blood would have looked better than the sparkles. Sometimes leaving things away (in this case, just the blood) works better than outright changing them. The sparkles reinforce the censorship, which causes people to pay more attention to them.

In short, for me it's not the censorship itself that matters, it's the antiquated way of doing it. Shining blood went out of style years ago.
Is it preferable to cut the scene out altogether, as the 1999 version did? Honestly, for me this is a mountain out of a molehill. I don't expect graphic gore in a morning timeslot in the first place, and even if I did, I'd much rather have the beautifully-written and animated (and acted) episode we got with the graphic bits toned down than an uncensored piece of mediocrity.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote