View Single Post
Old 2011-08-15, 09:26   Link #15
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thSin View Post
Proficiency in both languages does not automatically make you a capable translator. There are few things needed to be learned in addition to the Japanese (or other languages for your fansub).

"I just passed JPLT N3, and I want to be a fansubber!": Get the hell out of here and don't come back for 2 years. I know a lot of people who are studying or passed JPLT N2, and I can tell you right now, you are not ready. JPLT is a great way to gauge your progress, but it's garbage for the purpose of determining if you are qualified to be a translator. I just winged their official N1 sample questions for kicks, and got 17/18 right (tl;dr only scanned through couple of long reading comprehension and got 1 wrong), and my Japanese is still not even close at the level I would like it to be.
You want to be able to breeze through listening section of JPLT N1 (borderline passing N1 may be sufficient if you have access to Japanese script) or be able to pass 日本語検定(語検) Level 5 - Middle school equivalent. Ideally, you would want to live in Japanese-speaking environment for at least a year after sufficient class/independent study.
*bows*

Couldn't have written a better guide out there, this needs to be on a website so it can be linked about in fansub cyberspace for trigger-happy newbies.
I'd say the most I realised during my first year of translating anime would be the skill of interpretation needed over linguistic skill.
Especially for two worlds of Japanese and English (US, UK or AUS, etc), it's like oil and water sometimes. Contextually and culturally finding the best expressions to simply convey the correct meaning takes a lot outta a J-E translator.

At least in that area, I find it easier to verbally explain than to translate anime worlds sometimes.
On the literal-liberal scale, I'd say I'm about a 3 ish. Liberal offers the temptation of the other rule you mentioned:

'Translate, do not create'
I've seen some liberal translations that are just far too loose for me, it can lead to sloppy (or lazy) interpretations so I prefer to side on the edge of caution while dabbing a little more with idioms.
Or rather if I can't think of any, I leave that to the editors and explain what I need from them

As for programs, me is notepad + raw video on side + dictionary + notes for other things I noticed, in other words, I usually work with 3-4 windows at once
And yeah it takes about 4hrs (on a good day), we really do do the monkey work of the entire thing. You should have mentioned there's a risk of developing RSI or straining one's fingers for the freaking about of lines we gotta churn out x.x;;

Anyways cookie for your troubles, bookmarking this thread for future reference, many thanks

2011 has been hell over here, but I guess since I'm on summer hols, all the more reason to get back into translating something again ^^;;
PS: I do put this on my CV and let people know, I just don't mention what I translate or for who
A little embellishment never hurt anyone and I do translate as a hobby

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote