View Single Post
Old 2013-01-16, 22:10   Link #1
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

"I can't possibly believe that this light novel series' title is so long!"

With the release of the light novel series Yusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. (lit., "I reluctantly decided to find a job because I couldn't become Yusha."), I finally realized that this is the era of light novels with excessively long titles (and anime series with long titles too, by extension). I'm sure that most of us had our first encounter with long titles (subtitles not included) with Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (or Oreimo), which seems like the light novel series that spearheaded the "long title movement", and light novels with mile-long titles like in Oreimo have started to sprout like mushrooms after that.

I have to admit that these long titles make me wonder about what happened to the "Titles should be easy to remember" part in naming a literary work. Most light novel series are much better titled using their shortcuts a that mess of words which is basically a whole sentence with the basic premise of the series (see OreShura, which is the shortcut for "Ore no... ah, crap, I forgot.)

Ah, it's "Ore no somethingsomething Shuraba Sugiru". I'm so sorry.

Well, you get my point. They are difficult to memorize.

Anyway, with the sudden increase of light novels with these, one has to wonder if the quality of these works are just the same as that of more conventionally-titled works like Spice and Wolf and Kino no Tabi. I feel that some of them have a less spectacular plot and using the title as some kind of hook to get some readers, but I don't think it's working for me.

How about you? Does the marathon-of-a-title in some light novels these days contribute to how you anticipate its plot?

EDIT:
Extra question: Do you think that a book with the title "I Kicked A Burning Terrorist So Hard in the Balls that I Tore a Tendon in My Foot!" would sell decent overseas?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote