View Single Post
Old 2009-05-15, 02:08   Link #10
Tale

I think a part of Akira's smoothness comes from his receptivity as Kasuga pointed out. He is capable of accepting quite a range of people, which is why I thought it was quite unlikely that he was responsible to killing NEETs even before his memory loss. Akira immediately saw Hirasawa's motive is to help the others and that, at the same time, he is proud. So, he told Hirasawa that it was he who is asking for help.

Again, Akira reminds me of Kuze from Ghost in the Shell:Solid State Society, who tries to accept people thrown from social systems since he wants to be accepted, which could be a sympathizable motive to the NEETs or more widely, younger generation who feel they are minority in Japanese society. For the NEETs are considered as the outsiders of Japanese society for various reasons and, in this work, Kamiyama seems to be using the factor as a "detonator" to the rigid society. Also, the bunch of characters in Eden club are at the entrance of society, using their familiar toy/tool called the net, which they are comfortable to use compared with older generations, who are dominant in the society. In fact, this work also utilizes the net to lower the boundary of the reality and the work. I think this is an interesting experiment.

Anime is normally considered as escapism and I'm happy to see this kind of work, which is trying to tackle with real problems or to give the audiences courage/food for thought to tackle with their problems.

Last edited by Tale; 2009-05-15 at 02:22.