View Single Post
Old 2011-06-12, 16:07   Link #52
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
What is the "continuous problem" here? That Ohana is sad?
I thought I touched on this in my earlier post: the continuous problem is that Satsuki's neglected Ohana all her life, and that she had the nerve to say she raised Ohana pissed me off to say the least. Satsuki hasn't done anything to make Ohana happy even once: never gave her the right present for xmas if any, never showed up at parent's day at school, back out of any promise she made, like taking her to the pool, what have you. The continuous problem is Satsuki's neglectful attittude toward her daughter, so much that she never even bothered to tell Ohana that she's back in Tokyo, split up with her bf and asked if she was doing fine. No, she dumped her at Kissuiso and that was it so far as her relationship with Ohana went. THAT's the continuous problem.

Quote:
First of all, my position is that everyone should be free to demand changes in our government. But that is beside the point. I am saying that you should not condemn the people who are afraid to speak out against corruptions because they lacked the courage to do so. These are two separate things with two separate moral implications. What you are alluding to is whether one should have the freedom to stand up for their own belief. Meanwhile, I am discussing whether it is right to condemn the people who are afraid to speak out.
If you mean Satsuki, it's not that she's afraid to speak out, it's more that she doesn't care to speak out and just wants to write whatever she has to for herself, without giving thought to the consequences this bears on other people, particularly her daughter.

Quote:
I did not excuse anyone. I stated that this series depicts an adult's complicated life in a mature and honest manner. Isn't it true? Adults face many hard choices and some times we have to play by the rules (which might entail us compromising on what we believe in, though that does not mean we have to do anything illegal). The important thing is that the series didn't pick a side.

That's why I like this episode.
I liked it too for this reason. I'm not neccessarily saying she didn't have her reasons for taking a dishonest job. What I'm criticizing her for is mainly how she takes it as it is and doesn't really care about why she's doing it so long as she makes a living, and even more for the fact she cares more for making a living in such a manner than actually bothering to at least know how her daughter is doing after abandoning her.

Quote:
How I raise my kids and how responsive I am to my kids' feelings are irrelevant to how professional I am as a writer. Let's keep the two separate.

As I have mentioned in the upstream, professionalism has nothing to do with following lofty ideals or becoming the most honest person alive, or knowing what one should be doing. Professionalism is about following the corporate culture, mores, and expectations. If you are working for a biased publication who will do anything for advertising dollars, then the professional thing to do would be to either: 1. quit; 2. accept it and do your job. The first choice shows incredible integrity and courage, but not professionalism. Similarly, choosing the second option does not diminish one's professionalism.
I beg to differ. Like I said, being professional means knowing what you're doing and having your methods of doing them. What Satsuki is doing is merely writing what her bosses are telling her to write. That's not professionalism, that's merely following the company's status quo without question. Besides, I'm not the only one who will say that writing a public article that's based on lies and rumors is unprofessional. Many others in the industry would say the same thing.

Quote:
Not a parental failure. Being cold to your kids is unpleasant, but it's not a parental failure.
Being cold and unpleasant to your kid IS a parental failure. When you, deliberately or not, lose your way to communicate to your kid because you're cold and distant, neglecting their needs and desires, that's what it is to be a failure as a parent. On top of that Satsuki didn't try to patch things up and abandoned Ohana. As for the snacks, knowing Satsuki, she gave them to Ohana as her way of saying "give up, you're not gonna convince me anytime soon" rather than showing caring for her.