View Single Post
Old 2009-03-24, 01:51   Link #84
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think the term "soundtrack" or "OST" is used pretty inconsistently. I generally think of shows as having an OP, a "score," and an ED. Usually each of these is composed by a different person or group. I may like an OP (Kure-nai) or ED (Baccano!) more than the score, or enjoy the score itself more than either the OP or ED (Real Drive).
Yeah, the way people use "soundtrack" and "OP/ED" synonymously (without any discussion of the BGM) is one of my pet peeves. A lot of it coming from the fact that there isn't much cohesive discussions with regard to the BGM itself. A damn shame I say!

Anyhow, Real Drive certainly had an interesting score though I've only gone through the first disc with all those decent pieces (I think there was a variations on a theme by Paganini or something mixed in there that triggered my fanboy mode). But they're certainly better than the OP/EDs for that series.

As for me, Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou's got my full attention for my favorite soundtrack of the most recent time period. A lot of qualifiers, I know, but I just can't stress how well Makoto Yoshimori's compositions tug at your heartstrings through his poignant pieces. Definitely listen to the sample I've posted of Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou's theme to hear what I mean because that track is, for a lack of a better descriptor, outright gorgeous. So yeah, highly recommend people give that one a shot. Just try to avoid some of the weirder tracks on there since they do sound pretty bizarre. And that might be an understatement.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote