View Single Post
Old 2012-01-27, 08:25   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think that these two episodes, even taken on their own completely ignoring the first series, do a pretty good job of covering all the bases of the appeal of the childhood friend romance and how those usually play out in galge: knowing each other forever, having lots of memories, being a natural part of each other's lives, and at some point realizing that the relationship you have with each other is irreplaceable. I think Junichi's realization that not only did he love Rihoko but that he has always loved her without even realizing it is on the one hand obvious, but also the key. It was the combination of them starting to come to face with what would happen after high school (in sense, the integration of the senpais was good) and that incident with the lowlife classmate who just wanted to "score" that served as the trigger to finally make the change. Mission successful.
Well put. They really did a great job with these two episodes. The only problem is that it makes the initial arc look even worse than it already was in comparison. This 2 episodes arc is what Rihoko's arc in the original series should have been in the first place. I have to wonder what the hell the writers were thinking back then...

Ah well, at least now that things have been set right.

-1 for lack of timeskip/epilogue
+1 for plenty of Miya (to be honest, her antics were what I enjoyed the most in this ep) and the ending card (dayyyuuuummm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Only letdown is that Junichi was the one to say things first.
I personally like it better that way. We've known since the beginning that Rihoko loves Junichi, but his feelings for her were unclear. This way, both Rihoko and the audience are certain that Junichi loves Rihoko (adding that he has in fact always loved her was a very sweet touch) and that he didn't just accept to go out with her because "sure, why not?".

The fact he pretends to have been in love with her all along and yet he ends up with five different girls in alternate universes downplays that incredibly romantic declaration a bit though.