View Single Post
Old 2014-07-03, 20:06   Link #1
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Counterculture: Is it possible to make one with Anime?

Counterculture: A subculture whose values and norms differ greatly from those of the mainstream society

So, in my block, they just has opened a shop selling goth clothes (I live in an area of diplomats, so there is a bit of everything here.) Immediately, they became a hype and a lot started to wear it. However, my older sister (a hardcore goth herself) has been vocally showing her disdant of it, calling it "fake" and "immitation". Quoted her:

"These are all mass-produced"

It gave me this weird notion. There are two type of hipsters: Those who are its followers since the start, and the people who jumped for it after it turned a trend. (http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2...aps-and-beards)

But what make a trend, and when could it be called a subculture? It must be unique, to the point of nonsense if you stand from a commonman's view.

However, is there counterculture anime, shows that could draw out that wave? For example, the Beatles, they were statues of the hippy era, but did they make the hippy wave? No. I think there are two reasons why anime could not do it:

1. It is art, so it must has some substain values that would last with time.

2. It is a consummer product, so it must be reached to many as possible (highlighting my sister's idea. Kuroneko, if Maschera wasn't existed, would still find something else to latch in and create her personal values upon its base. To be a trend inspiration, the work must be able to kickstart the audience's imagination and creativeness. Those who don't do it are the second type of hipster.)

So, in short, my question would be: Could an anime really create culture value, even contemporary?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote