View Single Post
Old 2011-05-18, 11:23   Link #5
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Kurau Phantom Memory - just rewatched this again last week...
Hellsing and Hellsing (2006) - I would watch both (TV before OVA) but if you're not much interested, just watch the OVA (more manga-accurate retelling of the story)
Juuni Kokki - like the best anime ever aired
Trigun - like the second best anime ever aired
Mushishi - Mushishi
Kino no Tabi - Kino no Tabi

...like Pellissier said, a few to start. I must say you have have plenty to watch without resorting to "lesser known titles" for quite some time.
Kurau Phanton Memory .. *Looks at tag ''piloted robots'' and points to '' no mecha '' *
Hellsing .. I've been avoiding this for some reason .. Perhaps it's time to watch it.
Juuni Kokki .. Same as Hellsing, will check it out.
Trigun .. I've watched the first episode, but then dropped it. I could pick it up again if you explained to me what makes it so great. The whole comedy / slapstick part .. Well, it just wasn't funny. Maybe because it's made in 1998 so all the gags and whatnot feel '' old ''.
Mushishi & Kino no Tabi. Seen these both but forgot to update MAL. I loved them both .. I really like anime where there's travelling around so you see a lot of different places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
A few to start:

Fruits Basket , brilliant drama and comedy (based on the chinese zodiac).
Seitokai no Ichizon , the life of a student council, same setting of Yakuindomo (one guy and several girls), different development.
Ergo Proxy , future setting, dystopia, wonderful animations.
Higurashi no Naku koro Ni , comedy becomes horror in a rural setting. It's important to watch the second season too because it contains answers not given in the first. The OVA set is a bonus.
Fruits Basket .. I recall watching this at one point but then dropped it, I don't remember why though .. Well it IS shoujo .. if it has pretty guys or something like that then no wonder.
Seitokai no Ichizon .. Watched this as well at one point, but then dropped. The gags just didn't really do it for me unlike in Yakuindomo. I may give it another try though.
Ergo Proxy .. Will check it out.
Higurashi .. I've watched the first few episodes until it resets, then dropped. Somehow the whole reset thing I found just confusing and stupid. Not to mention all the girls I found so annoying I wanted to kill them myself, but fortunately the main character took care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I would EXTREMELY, HIGHLY second Fruits Basket(LOOK AT MY NAME). It has been and still is my all time favorite show. It's brimming with great comedy and drama in EVERY episode, and the english dub is EXTREMELY well done, which I'd personally recommend over the jp version. Seriously, WATCH THIS NOW !!!!

Now and Then, Here and There is pretty good. It's fairly gritty though, as it mostly shows kids being used and abused as tools for war, but it's a very well done drama.

Hana Yori Dango, aka Boys Over Flowers was something I greatly enjoyed. It has a strong, independent heroine as the main protagonist, and a pompous, arrogant, but occasionally considerate rich guy, whom she butt heads with much of the time. Both the anime and the live-action TV series are very good, so either one would be enjoyable.
It's nice to have something depressing to watch once in a while .. So I'll probably check out Now and Then, Here and There. I despise english dub and no matter how good you think a dub is, I will not watch one under any circumstances. I can't stand to watch anime in english, which is why I've not even watched Afro Samurai. I don't like any live-action much .. even less japanese ones.

Few notes : I don't generally like shojo either, but there may be exceptions. If it's full of '' pretty boys '' then don't suggest it. Another is that I'm really picky when it comes to art, and more specifically character designs. That's why older anime is usually no good. Again there may be exceptions though, like Trigun, it looks pretty good for anime from 1998.

With that said, keep the suggestions coming. I don't need just '' few '' to start but rather '' everything '' that I may like and hopefully they'll keep me busy through the summer till my studies start.