Thread: Crunchyroll Area no Kishi
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-16, 09:52   Link #106
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
The way I saw it was that Suguru just had faster reflexes since he was a world-class athlete, and he probably had almost a sixth sense for anything moving quickly towards him and Kakeru is just your average in-shape middle schooler. Kakeru could have been lost in thought too when the truck came towards them.

I don't see how anybody could reasonably say that he was anything like a coward because he didn't react fast enough. I think the changes helped make Suguru more heroic while it didn't change anything for Kakeru.
That's one interpretation. You have to decide if you believe he could have reacted or not. Which for the most part is just a matter of preference and can lead to many different conclusions. You believe he couldn't have reacted but even in this interpretation you degrade Kakeru's character in a way.

Kakeru was shown to be the only one who was able to see and react to his brother passes but you would have us assume in your interpretation that Kakeru reflexes aren't "world-class" like his brothers. Now his ability to react to those passes isn't really seen as an accomplishment in lieu of more evidence that Kakeru is "just your average in-shape middle schooler". Your words and you can see how this event has already shaped a different image of Kakeru that you most likely would have had if it had been different.