View Single Post
Old 2012-01-16, 17:33   Link #906
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I just watched The Thing

Some 15 minutes in, I realised this is the exact same setting as a short story by Peter Watts I read, named The Things. Which in turn is based on an older movie I never saw, called The Thing again.
The shortstory is really cool, because it tells the story of an alien life form stranded in between hostile human monstrosities from the view of the alien (you can read it, it won't spoil the movie much).

The movie lacks this cool aspect. It is a pretty straight forward "the monster is one of us" horror flick, where the cast gets killed off one by one from the humans viewpoint.
This does not make it bad. The monster(s) is scary, it is fun trying to figure out who is evil, because there are telltale signs which you can look out for.
It really is more a horror movie, than a scifi thing even though there are aliens. It has none of the cheapness and unintended comedy you would see in a AlienVsPredator movie for example.

The only problem is, that it is made pretty clear who our main character is from the very beginning. And she has the typical death immunity which comes with that role of course.
The other guys are all bearded and packed in warm clothing, so frankly I had a hard time telling them apart.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote