View Single Post
Old 2008-02-10, 12:53   Link #459
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
Did they still work on the first season, while it was already being aired?
The fact that the final 2 episodes were re-produced (correct me, if that isn't right) makes me presume that Sunrise only did a re-development of 24+25, as there has been an intermission in broadcasting for a few months.
saying 24 and 25 were reproduced probably isn't the best way to put it, since they were never ready for airing in "original form".

See, Geass had two recap episodes (8.5 and 17.6), but it only had 25 episodes to air the series (japanese stations are rather strict about their contracts), so once they got to 23 they didn't have any slots left to air in (since darker than black was on). And so, like you said, there was a few months until Geass could get another hour time slot. Now, the production staff justified this to the fans (you and me) by saying that the episodes would have improved animation (which they did) which means some scenes somewhere were likely redrawn. But again, They knew they didn't have anymore airing times back when 23 was on, I highly doubt 24 was ready in any form for the week after 23.

To move along to development: The way TV shows work is that a whole bunch of people sit in a room for a few months and come up with a concept, theme, basic story outline, etc. And then they start making the series, at which point the people who came up with the concept don't just go home, or do another job, they sit there and come up with all sorts of ideas of how'd they'd change the story depending on what the company tells them or the fans tell them. (this is getting particularly big now that there's the internet and whatnot) Stuff like how to phase characters out of the story, what to do if they fall behind in the schedule (which geass did, hence the recaps), etc. The story is constantly being reworked, and with many animation programs individual episodes are being worked on even up to the week before they're being aired (or later, which again sometimes means delays)
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote