View Single Post
Old 2011-04-09, 11:53   Link #1081
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Regarding Magnus’ comments on Sheryl doing things for others rather than herself… I don’t want to cheapen what she’s doing because I think it’s very admirable, but I actually think she’s getting something out of it as well. She’s getting a purpose, and that’s something she desperately needs at this point in the story. I think Sheryl needed to sing in that shelter last episode just as much as the people in that shelter needed to hear her sing.
A purpose is not a automatically selfish thing, though, unless done for self-aggrandisement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I have some mixed feelings about the confrontation between the SMS members. I really like how dramatic that sequence is. However, it also gives the impression that Alto lost to Ozma because he wasn’t certain of his purpose. Alto just promised Sheryl that he would stay with her to the end. I dislike the show implying that he's uncertain of his purpose so soon after doing that.
I can understand his problem. He also wants to go and help Ranka, almost all his friends and comrades are leaving and he is staying behind. Yet he has the dual purpose of protecting Sheryl and Frontier, so he is torn and frustrated. I don't expect him to be so singleminded that he doesn't experience doubt when almost everybody he knows leaves suddenly and apparently turns against his home.