Thread: K-On! - Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-30, 12:05   Link #559
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitok View Post
Ok need to get this straight if not i cant slp tonight.

I always thought Ritsu is younger than Mio, but on FFN, a reader just claimed that I had a wrong perception and Mio is actually younger than Ritsu, so... Ritsu is older?!

Cus I've went according to ep 2 of K-ON! and it was stated that both of them are 15, and so I thought since Mio's bday is in Jan, and Ritsu's bday is in Aug, by right, Mio should by 7 months older. Unless Mio went a year ahead in studies from her year's batch since she's a Jan baby?

Please correct me if i'm wrong but as far as I know, the age of the characters should be

Mio (Jan), Mugi (Jul), Ritsu (Aug), Yui (Nov), Nodoka (Dec)
Ui (Feb), Azusa (Nov)

I can't be sure either. I can't find any solid proves on any of this since the K-ON! Wikia is pretty messed up too.
I did this math before, but I can't be bothered to look it up again, so I'll go over it once more.

Of the main four, Mio is the youngest. It works like this:

- Japanese HS starts somewhere around April and runs till late March;
- So, at the time Mio enters HS, she's just had her birthday, but all the other girls have not;
- S1E2 says they're all 15 when they enter HS. This means that Mugi, Ritsu and Yui haven't had their birthdays yet, and they'll be 16 when they do;
- When January comes, Mio will be the last girl to have her 16th birthday in her first school year.

Conclusion: Mio is the youngest, while Mugi is the oldest.

And yes, that makes Ritsu older than Mio.