View Single Post
Old 2005-12-27, 10:50   Link #15
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
Okay, fine. But the idea of purely mechanical nanomachines which can exist indefinitely inside the human body but are destroyed by semen isn't exactly sensible science fiction either. Why would semen (which, by the way, doesn't enter the bloodstream where nanomachines live unless you're doing something REALLY kinky) have any negative effect on the tiny machines that countless other microscopic particles don't?

If you're going to be selective about which scientific improbabilities you choose to disbelieve, try to at least not let it interfere with your enjoyment of the series.
I already said that the semen destroying the nanomachines is in my opinion a stupid plot device. I just think it's a bit more sensible from a scientific point of view than the destruction of the nanomachines being triggered by feelings of love. But if we throw reason out of the window and suspend disbelief, the second option would be preferable since it doesn't portray the opponents of the Otome system as total idiots and it actually puts the otomes in difficult position as opposed to them simply using condoms.

Believe me, I am trying not to let my love of finding plot holes interfere with my enjoyment of the series but it's hard.