View Single Post
Old 2009-11-08, 10:26   Link #412
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Found this interesting article about what type of anime males and females like today.
http://www.animenation.net/blog/2009...s-upside-down/
Oooooo... now this is interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I remember a few months ago arguing against the notion that K-On was a male-focused anime.

Well, it is admittedly tops amongst male fans... but it's also second amongst female fans. So, I guess that K-On could certainly be said to hold substantial cross-gender appeal, after all.

Furthermore, 4 KyoAni titles rate highly with both genders. It looks like moe does hold appeal to female fans as well.

What's interesting here is that Nanoha is in the Top 7 for guys, but nowhere on the female list. While the female list is dominated by mecha anime, which is genuinely astounding.

Males liking magical girl anime and females liking mecha anime... that's probably a switch, to be sure.

My initial take on this list... Japanese females want to see stronger, more hot-blooded and/or charismatic male characters like what you typically see in mecha anime (notice the presence of Gurren Lagann in the top 10 list for females). And judging by the popularity of K-On amongst female fans, it could perhaps be said that Japanese females like to see their own gender portrayed the way it is in K-On.

Just like Nanoha's strong character appeals to the opposite gender, so does the strong character of somebody like Kamina or Zero/Lelouch.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-11-08 at 11:05.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote