View Single Post
Old 2012-10-07, 14:34   Link #7708
Drifloon

Okay, I'm really at my wit's end here so I'm going to have to ask you guys about this, even though you probably don't know the answer any more than I do. (I'm posting it in this thread since it seems to be the closest thing to a general help thread for technical issues with the game.)

Recently, for about two months or so, Umineko has been crashing randomly on the music box for me. As far as I can tell, it isn't tied to any particular songs, it just crashes occasionally. In addition, the opening movies for both the first half and Chiru crash the game when they are played. All three times that I have read through the series before now, the opening movies have played fine, and I can't think of any significant changes to my computer since then, so I have no idea why they don't work any more. Regardless, I can get around this by just removing the umineko_op files so that they no longer play.

But this is not the only problem. Umineko also freezes at various specific points, and only those specific points. These points always seem to correspond to a BGM change, too, but I can't see how they can be tied to the specific BGM because the music box crashes seem to happen regardless of the BGM that is being played. It seems to be some kind of issue with the BGM playing command itself, but I have no idea why. An example of a point where it always crashes is during the EP8 chapter 'Siege of the Fleet', when Beatrice tells Erika that she's tired, Erika seems surprised and Beatrice is about to elaborate. Again, I have never had this problem in any of my three previous playthroughs of Episode 8, but now it is literally impossible for me to play this chapter beyond that point.

This isn't only happening in Umineko, either. I'm having the same problem with Kinjo's fangame, which I have also played previously without any problems. The first two episodes were fine this time, but in the third game, I had a crash when Ange was looking for a detective. I managed to fix this by getting a text dump of the nscript.dat file and editing out the BGM playing command, which confirms that the crashes are directly related to a change in BGM. However, right after that, I had another crash after Erika appeared. After editing out THAT BGM command, I got another one as soon as the gameboard started, and after editing out the BGM command there, I got another crash when Erika meets Maria outside the guesthouse. Replaying parts from the first two episodes works fine, so I'm not sure why certain BGM changes crash the game without fail, while others don't. Either way, the fact that it is happening in both Umineko and the fangame shows that it's a problem with nscripter rather than Umineko itself, but I don't understand how this problem could not have been present before, but suddenly is now.

Does anyone have any idea how I could stop these crashes from happening? My system language is Japanese, I've tried running both games through AppLocale, and I've tried freeing up two additional gigabytes of memory in case that was the issue; nothing has worked. I've played Umineko so much before now and had no problems, so why is this suddenly an issue?
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote