View Single Post
Old 2008-09-18, 07:05   Link #46
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are you including Black Lagoon's Balalaika in this category? She does display courtesy (often before shooting someone in the head), and she was certainly courageous while leading her forces in Afghanistan, but she's hardly a nice person by any stretch of the imagination.
Spoiler for BL ep 19-24:
And don't forget Maria from Sakura Taisen

Russians like Maria (Sakura Taisen) and Balalaika (Black Lagoon) are generally portrayed as courteous, cold, apathetic, calculating and militaristic/military-conscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretsugu no Kimi View Post
I forgot it. I'll make the excuse, saying that BL is full with villains of various nationalities, not only Russia.

I have heard the detailed explanation why there are very few Korean characters in Anime. In short, Japanese are afraid of protest by Korean themselves.

"Hikaru no Go" is probably the most famous anime series in which Koreans appear. In this series, however, they were portrayed as antagonists, though they had some honesty. And then some Korean people living in Japan violently protested this anime. So every Japanese writer or creater were shocked and began to refrain from portraying Korean characters as not only antagonists but also protagonists and such. That is why Koreans are excluded from Anime world. Currently, it is taboo to get Korean characters to appear in anime or manga as well as Japanese Emperor.

In defence of Koreans, I say that many Korean people are not so irritable and they did tolerate Korean portrayal of "Hikaru no Go".
Ah..... I thought the lack of Koreans in anime was because of poor Japan-North Korea relations.

But then Japan-China relations were somewhat sour as well over Japanese government's denial of its war crimes against Chinese.

But I once thought the reason many Chinese characters such as Li Syaoran (Card Captor Sakura), Hei/Li Shengshen (Darker Than Black), Lee Bailong (Shaman King), and Tao Ren (Shaman King) were portrayed as angry, impulsive, hot-tempered, apathetic and bitter persons was because the Chinese's bitter resentment and arrogance left a big impression on the Japanese.

Last edited by stelok; 2008-09-18 at 07:29. Reason: Adding another quote.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote