View Single Post
Old 2007-01-03, 19:00   Link #32
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
BTW, the poll doesn't really make sense. It says "Yes", "No", but the third option "Don't care, if Spoiler Tags are used" is basically the same as Yes, since Spoiler-Tags are a requisite in the first place (unless you get a whole spoiler-Thread).
To clarify, what I meant by the question was whether we should have to wait till the fansub is released to discuss the episode at all in the "Fansubbed" forum. In other words, if the fansubs are at episode 3 and the raws are at episode 10, you could only talk about up to episode 3 and no higher, even in spoiler tags. Most importantly, I don't think that's really an option, but the point of the question was: would you like it better if that were how it was? This ties in to my other question about spoiler tags that I posted earlier. So, I could have phrased the options like this:
  • Raw spoilers in fansub threads are bad (I wish they weren't there at all, even in spoiler tags)
  • Raw spoilers in fansub threads are good (I like that they're there)
  • I don't care either way, just use spoiler tags
Hopefully that explains a bit more about why I phrased things the way I did. You may wonder "if you knew that one of the options was practically impossible, why ask in the first place?" And I think that's been hit upon by a number of people already: so that I, as someone who watches raws and posts about them, will know what behaviour people on the forum find courteous. That's basically what it comes down to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Sorry for being picky on this, but relentlessflame on his original question asked how raw-watchers should behave, and I explained what I wish to see.
Thank you -- in fact, your very practical suggestion helps me a great deal in terms of giving me something to think about (don't know how I'll implement it yet). As I said to begin with, I didn't post this poll expecting anything to change on a forum-wide level -- going to a "two-tier" discussion system would be a pretty debatable "step forward" to say the least. You got at the heart of the issue, though, which is a question of responsible behaviour in an environment that is clearly designed primarily for fansub viewers. (And, to be clear, I still do watch a lot of fansubs too, and that's what brought me here in the first place. My interests may have drifted in time to raws and R2 DVDs, but it started with fansubs.)

I have to admit that one of my side-motivations in a "Type A" spoiler post (as per your example) would be because I want to encourage people to keep giving the show a chance in case they may be feeling disheartened. Then again, it'd be pretty rare to see me do the same in the event that my outlook were less positive (then I might do "Type B", if anything). That doesn't mean all other raw watchers do the same, of course; few things are more annoying to me than a "Type A" pessimistic spoiler post ("This show totally sucks once you get to not-yet-subbed episode xxx. <spoilers for why>") I realize, of course, that that's my bias, and I suppose it could be called a double-standard too (If my opinions are positive, I want people to hear them, but if they're negative, I want people to come to their own conclusions.). Don't ask why that's the case, because I'm not sure.

Anyway, thank you everyone for this useful discussion. The practically-minded may say it's useless because "there's no clear problem, and no practical solution", but I think just having the conversation is useful. We may not be able to change the big thing, but we can help improve some of the little things -- and maybe a better and more consistent understanding of "raw spoiler etiquette" is part of that equation.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote