View Single Post
Old 2011-04-09, 06:09   Link #800
Leighton

@Anon4life - Welcome i just joined too! About Nia's character - yea Gainax has that tendency to create unusual characters - Asuka in NGE for example is on the outside, portrayed as a straightforward and audacious character - but in truth, she's insecure and lonely. I guess Gainax wanted to use Nia as a medium between life and death (of spiral life forms) - which i think was an interesting idea - actually a good idea rather than have a villain do all the baddy work.

Like someone said before, i believe Nia is taken from the completion of the plot so that we watchers have to deal with another depressing loss (and massive lulz for Gainax people). I can't quite come to terms with the fact that Simon and all his prodigious "spiral power" which is fuelled by his determination to do whatever he needs, cannot bring back Nia.

I think an ending WITH Nia would have been perfectly fine - some people may have found it cheesy/cliche ending, but consider all that battle, trauma and determination that Simon and the cast went through to save her and humanity. IN ADDITION, remember that it was Nia and Simon's LOVE which reigned over "absolute fear" and terror, so i think its perfectly normal to want Nia to remain after the ending.

Plus shes super-cute anyways so we'll always have that lingering feeling of loss of someone highly important.

I guess its also part of Gainax's attempt to take the plot in a different direction or finish off ambiguously/deppressingly (like NGE). I didn't foresee's Kamina's death as well - it just didn't seem suitable until i finished watching the series. Even then, i at times wished that Kamina was still there in the epic battles (i guess he was there resembled in Simon's unbeatable battle-spirit).

Anyways i've just finished the series and will probably look over the episodes again for more fanwanking and putting my opinion here

I'm still yet to watch the movies for new content...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon4life View Post
Oh and btw I give the ep. 10/10, by grading it on the Gainax curve (aka death of lead female withstand)

I give the meta-series over 9000/10, because its the only series ever to motivate me, and make me care about a romantic relationship in said series.
I'm still hovering over the rating - i'm still a little depressed over Nia's death haha.

TTGL will be one of my top anime series on a plot/mecha action level. NGE is still the top at the moment (mecha/psychological level) but im open because of its massive ambiguity. But yea i've only actually watched these two animes and i have to let TTGL set in a bit more, so ill save the fanwanking for later

Last edited by Leighton; 2011-04-09 at 06:21.