Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular (WATAMOTE)
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-10, 12:50   Link #765
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
I'm really disappointed in Tomoko. She was given the perfect opportunity to reach her goal, and she's wasting it...
You make it sound so easy, but for Tomoko, taking the first step is already quite a daunting task for her, let alone go all the way.

Take the main theme for this show: she wants to become popular, or at the very least more noticed than she is now. Yet, she hasn't got a clue how to go about it. She thinks up various ideas, but her lack of social skills is the main cause of most of her woes.

This episode shows us a guy who tries to talk to her. A good starting point for her, you'd think, and Tomoko would probably agree. The problem is that she's so socially inept that she can't think of anything to say back and his classmates calling him out for talking to a 'creep' only makes Tomoko even more insecure. Now, if the guy persisted and kept talking to her several times, he might have been able to draw her out of her shell, as she would start believing he's genuinely interested in (talking to) her.

I think it's safe to conclude that, no matter how hard she tries, she can't fix her lonely life on her own, as each attempt she makes on her own only backfires on her in some way or another. She needs someone to guide her, to hold her hand and help her up if she falls again.

Anyway, this episode has some very well-placed BGM that really helped set the mood. This might be the first time in quite a while that I'm genuinely interested in the OST when it comes out.

I shudder to think how things can become even worse for Tomoko. She's already more down on her luck than any character I've seen and she seems very close to hitting full-scale depression if something doesn't change soon.