View Single Post
Old 2009-06-07, 00:48   Link #75
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
If they were to have them practicing (and the audience seeing them play) they would of had to of cut cost in other places, which means lowering the quality of the animation and having less episodes.

Look at beck, on the story was good (despite the lack luster ending) but it looked like crap, the animation was terrible and that happened because they choose to have more episodes (argueably than they needed) and because they wanted to show them playing.

K-on! has never, ever been about the girls trying to become a successful band their largely just playing for fun. What K-on! was always about is the relationships between each other, spending a long time watching them practice would just get in the way of the main story (which has always been written as them being out right lazy).

Kaioshin your smart you know just as well as I do that this is buisness, k-on! isnt art, its designed to be a hit show, who's earnings will prop up all the shows the network commissioned that failed.
I've already come to terms with the fact that K-ON! is a show about nothing, and that there won't be any actual musical development and real growth of a band. I have to question though, what was point of making music one of the big selling points to begin with? It's like advertising a show about Gundamns with no actual Gundamns in it and the pilots all sit around on their asses continuously repeating age old gags that lost their charm the first ten times they performed them. Lucky Star was a show about nothing as well, but they didn't try to lasso in a different type of audience by tagging on an after thought of a plot device with it. That's what makes it more enjoyable in my opinion, I went into the show expecting to enjoy what they promised me, and I got just that.

I honestly don't understand both sides of the argument with K-ON! I don't really care about them not animating the band practicing every waking second anymore, I understand that's unreasonable budget wise and whatnot, and we'll probably get our over the top animated performance at the very last episode. I also don't understand why people keep trying to defend the mediocrity of the series, continuously responding to those who show even a tiny bit of negativity towards the series with "take it for what it is" and "it only took you 9 episodes to realize this is what K-ON! is about?" Both get tiresome to read about every single topic, but it's something that's inevitable, there's always going to be mixed feelings about this series.

What I wanted out of this series is for them to actually utilize what makes them different and unique from other Slices of Life out there, and that is their focus on music. Like I've said before, they really have shown that they can take use music to their advantage and create plenty of scenarios and gags that feel fresh and actually funny. Episode 5 and 8 come to mind, as I think those are the best episodes for this series. Instead they decide to reuse scenarios and gags again, trying to mask them by adding new characters and whatnot, or maybe not even mask them at all. At times, they'll even introduce interesting character quirks like Sawako's heavy metal persona, and completely get rid of it for something bland and annoying like her addiction to cosplay.

Honestly, at this point I would rather read the manga. It's much easier to swallow and enjoy the 4koma, because it literally takes a minute or two to read through a chapter, and thus the overuse of gags and such wouldn't bother me as much, hell they would probably make me chuckle. When it's in animated form however, I'm gonna tend to notice them through the course of 20 minutes, and the fact that the episode had points where it could have made the series something that it'll never be will always linger in my mind.

So have I accepted K-ON! for what it is? Yes. Am I going to downgrade my standards just to enjoy the series at the same level that most of the other fans of this series seems to be doing? No. Do I still enjoy the series? To a certain degree, the series has its moments that allow me to want to watch the next one for sure, but it's honestly too few and far between.

tl;dr - I'm butthurt about something that promoted music to not really involve music at all, but I'm still enjoying the series even if it's pretty mediocre in what it's actually trying to be anyways.