View Single Post
Old 2012-08-07, 22:38   Link #42
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
If you follow those tortured analogies, then I think someone could make a pretty good case that the rules that would apply in the real world should apply in the game world, even though there's no way of proving their "permanent" consequences. If someone in the real world were to go on a killing spree believe they're freeing everyone and sending them to heaven, we'd still incarcerate them for murder. So, if someone in the game world is killing people out of a belief that "maybe they won't really die", it's not so different. It raises the question of, if that's true, why don't they test that theory on themselves (unless they have some sort of Saviour complex... but I don't think that's what motivates most of the PKs we've seen...)
Don't get me wrong, personally I would not mind one bit if the PKers gets prosecuted, but I'm just saying that it's not nearly as easy as some seems to think it would be in the legal system, especially for something that was as radically different and unprecedented like SAO was.

I mean, really, prosecutors in the US couldn't even charge people for blatant cases of cyber-bullying at first until the legislature caught up, and people think there would be no issue when trying to charge people for murder for PK in a MMO?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote