View Single Post
Old 2016-09-19, 08:28   Link #199
entei08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibylEnd View Post
I believe kamachi is correct here, general magic came about from the 10th century in the form of shamanism and animalism before monotheism(read the specifics from the wiki lol) while stage performers adopted the name magicians and magic for their street acts confusingly in the 19th century. it's actually kind of retroactively Insulting to name magic as purely a trick or a ploy when it had deep religious routes; it's like documenting that the official definition of religion is a effort made by kings to get more money from civilians by using pandering lies. but I guess no one can really complain(since they are all dead).

That's pretty much why the Dub replaces magician with sorcerer to prevent this confusion, that and when people think of magic they think of harry potter. Unless you literally mean that the word magic didn't exist until the 19th century, then continue.
I have the scans, 19th is literally what Kamachi wrote though so I have no idea why it was changed to 10th. The 19th is the period when Golden Dawn was active so I can see if Kamachi wants to say a lot of modern magic was based on them, especially with Aleister leading the forefront.
entei08 is offline   Reply With Quote