View Single Post
Old 2007-09-11, 03:35   Link #259
Abbott
Munior Jember

Driving in Japan isn't too bad. The narrow roads are a non-issue because Japanese drivers can fit their cars through pretty much anything. If you find yourself head on with someone on a narrow road, you just pull to the side and stop, then let them do the work. But after a while you'll get used to it anyway.

The public transport system is as good as where it's based. Sure, in some areas it's great, but once you start getting off the popular travel routes it becomes a pain. There's also a serious lack of carriages on trains. Jammed in like a can of sardines is an understatement. Oh, and don't get me started on the stupidly high prices. Either be prepared to pay hugely inflated prices for fast trains, or spend 4 times as long on local trains. For example, Tokyo to Kyoto on Shinkansen; about 3 hours, 14000 yen. On local train, 12 hours, 8000 yen, 6 changes, no seat unless you're lucky. In Tokyo you can get a subway day pass for 700 yen, but be prepared to walk a lot, since the subway stations tend to be nowhere near the centre of districts.

As for the time of year to come, avoid Summer and early May. Summer is stupidly hot and humid to the point of being uncomfortable. Early May is Golden Week. And Winter is snowy, but you might like that.

Tokyo can be a cheap place to stay. There's some really good hostels for as little as 2000 yen a night.

And I just noticed stuff about food. Melon bread can be bought all over the place, but I think it's pretty over-rated. The only nice Melon bread I've ever had is from a place in Asakusa, Tokyo. Then again, you may like it already. I'm just more of a fan of the savery breads. As for eating in places where you can use a credit card, those are usually tourist traps. Basically, if a place takes credit cards, avoid it. The best way to decide where to eat in Japan? Look and see if you can see any Japanese people in the place. The more, the better it'll be. There's no such thing as a shady place, and if you're willing to be adventurous you can find some awesome places.

Last edited by Abbott; 2007-09-11 at 03:48.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote