View Single Post
Old 2012-09-24, 18:54   Link #134
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You can say the same about Asemu's wife and the grandson's potential girlfriend (did I mention they almost all look the same and even act the same?).
That's because they all ended up becoming or were always lacking in any sort of unique characteristics outside of loyal fangirl/cheerleader to the main protagonists. The thing is though while we sort of had Asem and Kio at least talk with their significant other, Flit sort of just ... ignores Emily all the way from the mid point of Gen 1 to the end of the show. The only moment where we see him give her even the smallest acknowledgement was after Asem turns out to be alive and he wonders if he should inform her. And now with this episode and Yurin showing up and after a 5 minute talk he just listens to her and everything is A-okay with him ...

Quote:
Ok ok, Asemu's wife had more life in her than the rest, but this is the one complain I have about the show. Interesting women with an actual backstory ALL have a deathflag floating on their heads and eventually die, while the hero end up with the person-who-just-needs-to-be-there-for-convenience's-sake.
I agree that the most interesting women in this show ended up meeting unfortunate ends, but what can you do when the universe the show is set in seems to be built with the idea of ''Give birth or DIE!!!''? As for Romary having more life in her, I honestly never seen it with the most frequent words she ever said were ''Asem'' and ''Zeheart''. Her just sort of fawning after learning about Asem leaving her and her son to be a pirate sort of put a nail in that coffin.

Quote:
What does this show have against cool women? Seriously.
There was that one seen in Madorna's workshop back in Gen 1 when Emily and Ms. Madorna were talking to each other, and she told Emily (to paraphrase) that a woman's role is to let the man she loves do what ever he wants and for her to merely build her dreams and ambitions around that man's dreams.

I think that is the thing that made the cool women in this show never get a chance to shine, cause they never had any men to be able to build their own dreams of off.

Quote:
Though personally I think Emily is aware of whats going on with Flit, but she chose to accept it. Gotta give her props.
Um ... that doesn't really speak well of her does it? I mean Flit was progressively getting worse and worse with his behavior, to the point where he became a genocidal old man. It would be one thing if he was a hard line military leader who wanted to punish the Vagans for the crimes they committed and Emily agrees with him, but the idea that she's into the whole 'kill everyone in Second Moon'' does not in any way put her in a positive light.

I mean that either means that she really did nothing to improve his behavior during this past half century (while a small talk with Yurin could apparently do it ...) or she helped feed the hatred he had and let it fester to the point where he became the sort of mad man we seen for the majority of Gen 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I find it funny that Romary didn't get more screen time considering how ridiculously popular her VA is in Japan and abroad even. They could have maybe used her to rehook some of the otaku audience almost singlehandedly if they wanted to most likely, but I guess the priority ultimately was on the kids demographic.
Easily the blandest role HanaKana ever played. And to think this was her first ''major'' role in a Gundam series.

The show had an A-list cast in terms of VA, and when given the chance (Hiroshi Kamiya as Zeheart was just phenomenal, Toshiyuki Toyonaga and Kazuhiko Inoue as Flit were also pretty good overall etc.) and yet it had underutilized in such a way none of them really got a chance to show off their skill. shame really ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
couldn't she join the group during his x-rounder rounder moment ? Well in the end all you can do is assume since the only time we saw them post gen 1 was at that family dinner, that's it.
She's only his wife, Flit needed the woman he loved to show up to tell him to stop hating.