View Single Post
Old 2008-03-17, 06:32   Link #999
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Toshihiko was always amazing in Seed. People can bash Seed all they want, but not its all around outstanding OST.

To me, Naoki's better works actually came from Precure. Yes, that Pretty Cure. Some of his tracks are just filled with a natural sense of wonderment (like some of the Heroic Age ones). Then there are those delicious sentimental tracks in Precure as well as the rousing action scores. Also, I think some of the best Heroic Age tracks were in the second OST where they fully feature all the vocals that was featured in the few Golden Tribe montage scenes in the show (only a few times they ever used that for dramatic effect). You mentioned X TV and I think X TV had some of the best all around OSTs around. I actually rate Naoki Sato a bit above Yoko Kanno personally, since he seems to show more effective range while Kanno sometimes hits and misses here and there, IMO. Though when she does hit, it's usually incredible.

Then there's the relatively newcomer in anime music in Noriyuki Asakura (mostly did videogame stuff, now does the awesome Major OSTs), Yuki Kajiura (Mai Hime/Otome), Kou Otani (Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing) and others.

As for Kanno, I'd say her best stuff were in some of her more obscure stuff including Napple Tale and Turn A Gundam. I already think the Macross Frontier theme is engraved into my head so I think she already did a good job on it.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote