View Single Post
Old 2009-08-05, 02:50   Link #268
baltakatei

An interesting plot sequence that seems plausible to me (a shot into the dark), given the first chapter released is this:

The Kyon we see in the Yuki-chan version is Kyon if he had never met Haruhi. We'll see a few chapters of how life could have been for Kyon had it just been him and Nagato.

Events are already speeding towards that fateful day in December when Nagato Yuki in the original timeline changes the world. In the Yukichanverse, suddenly the Kyon in this manga story will get his memory synchronized with the original Kyon that we know. Kyon then has to decide which Nagato he appreciates more: this Yuki-chan or the original.

The events in the Yukichanverse then lead into the Disappearance events that occur in the novels, with the 3-day time limit for the Emergency Escape Program. Kyon gets the keys, gathers the SOS団, but ends up not choosing to activate the program. Yukichan wins. Kyon x Yuki fans rejoice.

The only thing that sticks out is why Tsuruya went out of her way to harass Kyon about being with Mikuru. I can't imagine that Kyon's accidental approach of memory-modified Mikuru has occured, since within 48 hours of that event, Kyon found Haruhi and Koizumi. Maybe Arakawa plowed into Kyon with his vehicle just after he realized Haruhi had disappeared, resetting his memory back into the Yukichanverse. =P Maybe this Yukichanverse Kyon has already lamely attempted to approach Mikuru. This would make Tsuruya's powerful disabling blow in the Disappearance novel a lot more plausible since it'd not be his first time in approaching Mikuru.

Also, I'd like to note that when I first read the Disappearance novel, I thought that the people Kyon saw appearing to rescue him were the SOS Brigade members that he had left behind in the Yukichanverse. It made so much sense that a John-Smith-activated Haruhi, Nagato, Koizumi, and Mikuru would find a way to somehow return to the original universe to come to Kyon's rescue after seeing him disappear in front of Yuki's computer after activating the Emergency Escape Program. I'm hoping this manga can give me closure on what happened to these modified SOS Brigade members.