View Single Post
Old 2006-02-05, 07:04   Link #254
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejkaz
I thought PDAs and other portable media devices (e.g. PSP) were the main reason for using H.264 in the first place since hardware acceleration solves some of those performance problems.

On the desktop, the codec changes so often that a video encoded with today's version won't work on one from a week ago. I mean, I don't fear change. Hell, I upgrade all the software on my Linux desktop about once a month. But change more than once a month just to keep up with the changing face of a single format is a bit much to bear.
That's really not true at all. An encode made by pretty much any version of x264 (except a few borked ones ) since revision 200 or so (it's now on 400), like, back in August... will play fine with the latest ffdshow. It's true that newer versions of x264 have added options that old ones didn't, but that's a decoding issue and newer decoders should have no problems playing older encodes that don't have some of the latest features (like custom quant matrices, etc).

Since custum quants were added back in August or so, all improvements to x264 have been in the encoding algorithm itself, i.e. require no change in the decoders. Options like --nr or --no_fast_pskip or --bime --mixed refs... those are all options that modify how the encoder encodes the video, but do not require any further functionality on the part of the decoder.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote