View Single Post
Old 2004-11-16, 16:26   Link #1
daft27
Aim High, Fall Short

Send a message via AIM to daft27
Major

Preview for Major ep1 originally published at:
http://daft27.fansub.tv/published.php/134/Major/

Keywords: Shounen, Drama, Sports, Baseball, School Kids, Aspiring Kid w/ Dreams, Single Parent, some romance?

ep 1 Synposis:
Alright, the story starts with three main characters. Gorou Gibson, his dad, and his teacher. I think Gorou's dad is a pitcher in a major leagues and Gorou really aspires to be like his dad. He doesn't have a mom since she died due to some random disease (random, because i don't think they really explain it). The teacher for some reason really looks like his mom (which you see in the beginning). Anyways, on his way home, Gorou gets bullied by some older kids and is pretty much saved by his teacher. She brings him home, makes some curry for dinner and they watch a vidoe-taped recording of one of his dad's games. There's a little bonding part where the teacher comforts Gorou when he lets loose his feelings and starts to cry. After dinner, she pretty much leaves Gorou to himself and he goes off to sleep. In the middle of the night, his dad comes back pretty much drunk.

The next morning, you learn that Gorou's dad had injured his throwing arm and will have to be in rehabitation for about a year. After five years, it looks like the dad's career as a pitcher is over and he doesn't really know what to do. The dad talks to someone who looks like his manager, and he suggests that he become a baseball coach or something like that since he won't be able to pitch for a while. He also meets his friend on his way home, and his friend suggests to him that he could become a batter.

Gorou pretty much goes missing from the school and the teacher becomes really worried. She says how it's her and stuff like that, when Gorou's dad comes by to pick him up. They go back to Gorou's place to talk and wait for him there (and there you have the start of a probable romance).

This episode ends with the dad clutching a baseball bat like a madman. (see screencaps)

Animation:
Good animation by my standards. I wouldn't exactly call it 'modern' but it's close enough to it. The character designs look a few years old. Nothing too special here. Moving on..

Music & Seiyuus:
Comments on the opening theme and the ending theme. The opening theme is really similar to the op for Kyou Kara Maou (rock.. uses similar tempo, instruments, etc). I suppose the ending theme is fairly good, but I think there's a lot of room for improvement. Forgive me if this sounds too harsh, but it seems a little lame. The background music works well for a drama like this but it's not something that would make me go out and buy the soundtrack.

Recommendation:
I'm looking forward to the fansub release of this. No group has announced the fansub for this yet, but I'm sure this will be picked up. The story moves at a slow pace and it's not episodic. My only fear is that it might become boring, but considering this is only episode one and most of the characters haven't been introduced yet, it's not something that bothers me too much. If you're interested in baseball or dramas, then this series would work well for you.

Screencaps:

Last edited by daft27; 2004-11-17 at 04:57.
daft27 is offline   Reply With Quote