View Single Post
Old 2010-12-22, 13:49   Link #2242
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Playing F.E.A.R. for the first time. I was in a horror games mood after playing through Amnesia: The Dark Descent and saw the christmas offer on Steam (75% reduced price) for the 'F.E.A.R. Complete Pack' at £5:

F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. Extraction Point
F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn (DLC)

The offer was one-day only but it's now back to the 50% holiday sale rate.

I've never bothered to check the game out and decided to look into it once I saw the offer. Ratings were good and it was dirt cheap, so I went for it. So far, I'm enjoying it and progressing quite well. I like most of the scare tactics except for those 'big ugly corpse' images suddenly flashing across the screen like some lame 'screamer' flash animation. The action is really fun though... can't really go wrong with bullet time. I plan on chugging through the entire series over christmas and playing it in proper mood with headphones + dark room. I've so far developed a habit of immediately unloading a clip on anything that takes me by surprise... meaning, I started blasting away at a corpse when it came crashing through a window in the office before realizing what it was.

EDIT: Ok, finished the first game and am onto Extraction Point now. I had to manually edit a settings config file to allow 1920x1200 resolution because the expansion didn't have it selectable in the options (but the game before it did ).

I thought the first game was good... though I seemed to eventually get used to the scares and it started to freak me out less after about the 4th level. Going by all the posts I see about it on other forums I was expecting it to get progressively scarier but I comfortably completed it in very few sittings (which I couldn't do for games like Amnesia + Silent Hill 1+2). Extraction Point so far kicks off very nicely with some cool events... looking forward to completing this next.

Last edited by Woopzilla; 2010-12-23 at 00:43.
Woopzilla is offline   Reply With Quote