View Single Post
Old 2013-01-04, 15:19   Link #82
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I was thinking religious monk style solitude; I'm unfamiliar with the whole tiger version can you explain?
I think they meant that tigers are solitary animals, they live alone except when a female is raising cubs. Male and female meet only to mate.

(Apropos big cats, ep 14 made me wish the anime had made the killer kitties more cat-like... aww, kitties!)

Anyway, humans are social creatures, there's a reason why every single human culture ever gravitates toward groups, and for that matter this is true not only for humans but also our nearest relatives (*cough*bonobos*cough*). We're relatively weak, slow to mature, our children are completely defenseless and unable to fend for themselves for at least 10 years (they can't even walk for a ridiculously long time!), etc. etc. etc. This is part of what makes us human. So we have a built-in need for cooperation in order for the species to survive.

For that matter, how do you expect the species to survive with groups in complete isolation? Genetic diversity is pretty important, and if you want that, and don't want to go to war with the nearby families every time you feel the need to procreate, you pretty much have to cooperate. And if you're willing to do that you might as well admit it makes more sense to live in a society.