View Single Post
Old 2006-08-01, 00:18   Link #115
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

And with the final words "and yes I said yes I will Yes." I have finished the monstrosity of a book that is Ulysses, weighing in at over 900 pages. It has been an arduous read. At times when it was painfully laborious for eyes and mind, I wondered to myself, why am I reading this book? Then I told myself, if I could not read for enjoyment, then at least I can read to better myself. And with that mindset, I forced myself through Ulysses. I thought I was ready to tackle this book, I was painfully wrong. I only comprehended the book superficially, knowing only the basic plot and happenstances of the novel, but its arcane allusions, obscure references, and intricate symbolisms are all but mostly lost on me. Perhaps it is because I could not understand the book at a deeper level that I feel it was an underwhelming and unsatisfying experience for a novel that's ranked #1 by The Modern Library. I believe historians, and people of senior and wise age can glean the most delectation from Ulysses, and best appreciate its grandeur. I do acknowledge some qualities of the book that might warrant its acclaim, mainly, its very dynamic and creative use of the English language. But overall, it was simply too much for this twenty-years-old. However, I will try again, when I'm older, much older, when I possess more knowledge and wisdom to confront it. As for my next read, honestly, I really want to digest more of Nabokov, namely, his Pale Fire. But I won't go against my word; The Sound and the Fury will occupy my hands before I sleep.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-08-01 at 00:55.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote