View Single Post
Old 2013-09-14, 04:59   Link #196
lateraldeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatoelle View Post
It is dysfunctional in a sense that is it still failing to serve as an adjusting purpose to fully understand Eren and by extension, herself. (ETA: Perhaps this will clear it up more. When I meant "coping mechanism", it doesn't primarily govern that of what's happening around her (The Titan Invasion, Eren's capture) but what is happening within her (of the reason why she said she's heartless among other things). In the chapter titled "Compassion", she "asked" Eren what is more important than his life that he's hesitating to kill Annie and the answer is simply compassion. It is also because of that compassion that Eren saved her 6 years ago. That is why I'm calling it dysfunctional because although she knows her priority, by accepting she has no heart and compassion anymore, she is making a rift between the meaning/motivation behind why Eren saved her and by extent, making a rift between who she is and how she view herself. I agree that at this point, she is not self
It's funny to me how you pretty much ignored mine, Darklegends8, and Parchevich similar point and go on to explain the same thing you've said the past few days that we all counterpointed against.

Which is, yes it's not healthy for Mikasa to be so caught up on Eren emotionally, none of us debates that. But there is a TIME to think about everything and right now, it's certainly not time for Mikasa to think about "how I should lead my life?" when Eren's the most important thing for the entire human race.

Let me put it into an analogy for you. If you and you're family are in a bank that's being robbed. Your first thought isn't going to be, "should I change careers and discover myself a bit more?" I mean common, no one's going to have that kind of long term thought in that moment. Everyone's going to be thinking "how the hell am I suppose to get me and my family out of this life or death desperate situation, what the hell do I have to sacrifice to accomplish that?" And for pretty much the entire series, Mikasa and Eren has been in a long ass life or death bank robbery. I can't understand why you ignore this simple fact that Mikasa is doing what she is doing out of human nature fitting to the situation she is in, and argue for a point that does not apply to her situational context what so ever.

Last edited by lateraldeath; 2013-09-14 at 05:19.
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote