View Single Post
Old 2008-02-16, 01:29   Link #212
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
Thanks for the response to Movie 6.

Now for your question, I do not know the definite answer, then again only Oda does right now, but here is my interpretation of Mihawk's and Zoro's abilities.

In regards to Mihawk's ability to cut elements, let us look at Zoro and his evolution with his sword(s). To cut an element goes back to Zoro's training.

Zoro's sensei esplained that the greatest swordsman can cut through anything and nothing. Zoro proved this theory during the Alabasta Arc by being able to cut through rock (and steel) while not being able to cut through a palm leaf. He descibed it as hearing the 'breath' of the world around him. It is a very metaphysical concept, but in many respects, it could be said that Zoro became 'one' with the universe, or at least gained a higher understanding of the universe.

As fans have noticed, before the Mr. 1 fight, all of his attacks had animal names (even a demon can be considered an animal), but after the Mr. 1 fight, his attacks gained spirtual names (His cannon techniques as well as his 'Asura' techniques as seen in the fight with Kaku are all based around spiritual principles etc.). Zoro can cut through steel and iron, next is presumably diamond or something a little below that. After he learns to cut through the hardest materials, it is possible that he will be able to learn how to cut through immaterial substances.

It is a very zen-ish philosophy mixed in with Zoro's fighting style. By gaining a greater understanding of himself as well as the universe around him, he is slowly achieving a sense of enlightenment. With his enlightenment comes the ability to exert his will over the basic properties or the 'breaths' of the things around him. As his understanding of this technique improves, presumably he will eventually gain the ability to cut through elements.

This is what Mihawk allready does. A good indication as to how ready Zoro will be for a fight with Mihwak is whether or not Zoro can cut an element. Until he can cut through fire, etc. Zoro will not be ready to fight Mihwak.
Very well said James3wk. Everything you have stated I completely agree with. It's just that Mihawk is a character with 2 prestigious titles; he is both a warlord and the strongest swordsman in the world. Having said this, you would think that he would be able to contend with logia users. To me, it just wouldn't feel right for Mihawk to be effortlessly defeated in a duel with a logia user, just for the simple fact that a logia user would be impervious to his attacks. The same thing could be said for characters such as Shanks, Doflamingo, and Sengoku the Buddha. These characters are members of their respective world powers and so far they don't appear to have logia fruits. What's to stop logia users from defeating these characters just because they cannot be physically hurt? I guess what I am trying to say is, is that there must be a way for these aforementioned characters to contend with logia users other than exploiting their weaknesses or using seastone.